Friday, October 24, 2008

don't fool with me, I'm not a toy

Hey. I think I know what book to buy. If all my other choices are not available, I think I'd go for Twistedby Laurie Halse Anderson. I saw the book a few months back and of course, was tempted to buy it. However, just a couple of books after it was Fairest by Gail Carson Levine. So which should I pick? A book that sounds interesting or a book from an author that I know will never dissapoint. After a brief moment of hesitation, I plucked out Fairest from the shelf and went to Daddy to ask him for approval(mind you, it was close to PMR then) Anyway, I was searching for books, as you already know and I came across Twisted again. It's really funny and dark, or so I've heard. I've heard such praises for the author that curiosity gets the better of me. She also wrote Speak which was then been made into a movie starring *urgh?* Kristen Stewart (and to think back, I think the movie that made her a household name) and for a more cheery side, she wrote Prom. Twisted is the first book she'll write from a male's perspective. I don't think I'll be going to GE Mall or any place with good bookstores anytime sooner so looks like I have to settle with Jusco's MPH for my on-going book search. Let's just hope that it's there, so cross your fingers.

anyway, this is the review for Twisted :

Tyler Miller was a socially invisible nerd ("Your average piece of drywall who spent too much time playing computer games") before he sprayed some attention-getting graffiti and became a legend. Sentenced to a summer of physical labor, he enters his senior year with new muscles that attract popular Bethany Millbury, whose father is Tyler's dad's boss. On probation for his graffiti stunt, Tyler struggles to balance his consuming crush with pressure that comes from schoolwork and his explosive father, and after Tyler is implicated in a drunken crime, his balancing act falls apart. The dialogue occasionally has the cliched feel of a teen movie ("Party's over." "We're just getting started. And I don't remember inviting you"). What works well here is the frank, on-target humor ("I was a zit on the butt of the student body"), the taut pacing, and the small moments, recounted in Tyler's first-person voice, that illuminate his emotional anguish. Writing for the first time from a male perspective, Anderson skillfully explores identity and power struggles that all young people will recognize.


this is the cover of Prom which I'm pretty sure is very familiar because I've seen it a million times but never thought of picking it up and reading the back. Probably because the title suggest your typical teenage book. Well, thats just to say don't judge a book by it's cover.

No comments: